Tuesday, February 28, 2012

{Lessons from the Italian Stallion}

So...

I've been on a Rocky Balboa kick the last couple weeks {something that, no doubt, my husband loves about me}. I don't want to go so far as to call Rocky a philosopher, but he has some pretty inspiring quotes regarding friendship, marriage, life, and parenting. Most of what I appreciate about his quotes is the simplistic authenticity of his words, and even more so the fact that he says them.

Currently, I'm watching Rocky IV --- You know, the one where he fights the colossal Drago in the USSR after he killed his buddy Apollo Creed --- there is so much that I enjoy about this movie --- So without trying to sound too nerdy --- I love the video montage, the sweet training sessions, and the rockin' soundtrack, but one of my absolute favorite things about this movie is a quote that by all measures isn't very memorable --- but it is to me.

Before the whole story really unfolds there's a scene with Rocky and Rocky Jr. where Rocky is washing their car, and Rocky Jr. is dancing with their Robot {haha} and pestering his dad about wanting to learn how to fight. Rocky's answer was pretty simple ---

"I fight so you don't have to fight..."

He goes on to explain something about wanting his son to use his head for something more than a punching bag {yada yada yada} and they have a cute little LOL moment, but the heart of it was such a simple, honest, and sacrificial truth --- "I fight so you don't have to fight".

Isn't that the kind of mindset we should have as parents? As husbands and wives? Shouldn't we fight so that those we love hopefully won't have to? Shouldn't we share in the burdens of our loved ones and be joyful for the load, living in such a way to teach it to our children so that when their grown they too will fight in someone's stead? To fight for someone they love? To fight for someone who can't fight for themselves? To share in the burdens of others and to find joy in bearing that load?

I know this is a bit on the heavy side for an "Italian Stallion" related post, but it's what I happen to be thinking about right now. So, I'll keep this short, and just leave you with a few questions that I'm also asking myself.

Who have you fought for? --- Anybody?

Whose place have you taken in the ring so they wouldn't have to? --- Anyone?

What have you done for love? --- Anything?

What is the legacy you're leaving for those you love?

No comments:

Post a Comment